Bosnia and Herzegovina expects more flexible coal-based electricity generation regulations from EU, SEE Energy News
In Republic of Srpska 60 % of electricity is generated by coal-fired thermal power plants, while almost all of the remaining 40 % comes from hydropower plants, and the Government intends to change this ration in favour of renewable energy.
Minister of Energy and Mining of the Republic of Srpska (RS) Petar Djokic said that he expects a more flexible approach by the European Union when it comes to the application of EU practice of scrutinizing coal-based electricity generation in favour of renewable energy. He stressed that early closures of coal-fired power plants would be a devastating blow both for the Republic of Srpska and the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. He said that Europe should have a flexible approach towards BiH and enable a longer period of application of European directives in that regard, because cannot not lose base energy production, as it provides security and regular supply of the market. If these are lost, it would endanger economic development and lead to the dissatisfaction of a large number of citizens.
He stressed that RS is investing heavily in renewable energy, with projects for the construction of hydropower plants Dabar, Ulog and Bistrica, joint HPP Buk Bijela project with Serbia and the project for the construction of 70 MW solar power plant Trebinje 1.
Minister Djokic also said that he believes that the Law on Renewable Energy Sources would be passed by the Parliament by the end of the year.
Last month, Energy Community and Bosnian power utility EPBiH signed a Letter of Intent, by which EPBiH accepts the Energy Community initiative for the introduction of internal calculation of CO2 costs, which envisages a self-imposed internal price mechanism for CO2 emissions from thermal power plants, as a transitional measure to facilitate the implementation of emission reduction plans.
- January 24, 2022 Slovenia, NPP Krsko produced 515,426.7 MWh of net electricity in December 2021
- January 24, 2022 Serbia, EBRD and EnC have urged Serbia not to delay implementation and not to amend the Law on the Use of RES
- January 24, 2022 Serbia, State will secure sufficient quantities of energy and energy sources for households and the economy