Greece: Lower electricity consumption in April, SEE Energy News
Electricity demand decreased by 12.6 % in April compared to the same month last year, according to data provided by electricity transmission system operator ADMIE.
Industrial consumers registered the biggest drop in consumption during April, because they were forced to suspend or restrict operation during the lockdown, which prompted a 23.6 % year-on-year decrease in electricity consumption.
At the same time, electricity production in April fell by 3.2 % to 2,893 GWh compared to 2,990 GWh in April 2019. The overall drop was minute compared to changes in the country’s energy mix. For example, lignite-based electricity production fell by 62.7 % compared to last year’s April, thus confirming the launch of PPC’s decarbonization plan. High costs of lignite-based production limited its share in Greek energy mix to just 10 % in April.
On the other hand, electricity production from renewable energy sources rose by 33.9 %, representing 36 % of overall generation. Production at gas-fired power plants rose by 11 % to capture a 30 % share in the energy mix. Production of hydropower plants increased by 19.8 % year-on-year with 6 % share in April’s electricity generation. 18 % of electricity consumed in April was imported.
State-controlled Public Power Corporation (PPC) provided the largest share of production (56.6 %) with 951 GWh, while independent producers covered the remaining 43.4 %. Mytilineos Group tops the list with 228.1 GWh, followed by Elpedison (210.4 GWh), Korinthos Power (154.1 GWh) and Heron II (136.3 GWh).
- September 15, 2021 Slovenia, Country to phase-out coal by 2033
- September 15, 2021 Serbia, EBRD to finance the installation of smart electricity meters in Cacak, Nis and Kraljevo
- September 15, 2021 Serbia, Country sets legal framework for green bonds issuance