Serbia mining: Bor Surrounded by Mines, Mining
Canadian company bought 220 hectares of land for the opening of copper and gold mine, although it has not been granted a permission from the Serbian government for the exploitation of ore deposits in the Bor region.
Canadian company Nevsun bought through its subsidiary “Rakita” about 220 hectares of land for the opening of copper and gold mine, although it has not been granted permission from the Serbian government for exploitation of ore deposits in the Bor region – Novosti reports.
According to our information, the Canadians bought the land from citizens, and recently they have received an approval from the Government of Serbia for the development of a special purpose plan for the opening of the mine. However, Nevsun, is officially still in the phase of geological explorations, although it is known that the project for the opening of new mining site has been mainly completed.
– We have initiated a meeting with the leading managers of “Rakita”, but also with experts from RTB “Bor” – says Aleksandar Milikic, the Mayor of Bor Municipality.
– We demand that we have an insight into the impact of the future mine on the environment, the use of municipal land by the Canadian company, as well as the purchase of land for the purpose of opening the mine. We want to know how the ore from the future mine will be exploited, which is about seven kilometres away from the city. Since, if this mining site will be located in the site where we think it will be located, Bor will literally be surrounded by mines. On one side, there is RTB Bor, and on the other, the one to be opened by the Canadians. Our city would literally be at the center of two industrial giants!
- June 11, 2021 Slovenia: MOL Group’ retail acquirement agreement with OMV
- June 11, 2021 Serbia: NIS’ environmental projects investments
- June 11, 2021 Romania: IFC’s investments in Raiffeisen green bond issue