Serbia: Modernization of TPP Kostolac B1, unit capacity 342MW, News Serbia Energy
The block has achieved once unattainable 342 megawatts. Further adjustments and guarantee tests.
On 9th March, for the first time in the 23 years long history, the block B1 in TPP “Kostolac” reached the electricity production with the capacity of 342 megawatts. That was the goal of the great revitalization, which was conducted last year. After the first synchronization on 29th December last year, the trial of all the systems and devices, and also after the beginning of the guarantee tests, the block achieved once unattainable 342 megawatts.
The guarantee tests, measuring and adjustments of the grinder began on 25th March, and now they are entering the final phase of setting the technological scope for the designed operation of this aggregate. The executive director of EPS for the electricity production, Mr. Dragan Jovanović was speaking about the effects of the revitalization.
– Never in its history has this block achieved such parameters as we have achieved today and it represents one of the most advanced blocks in EPS with the fulfillment of the projected tasks. The guarantee tests are still in progress – said Mr. Jovanović.-From the first movement up to this revitalization, this block operated for 23 years with the capacity of 350 megawatts, but with the average production of 250 megawatts. The very important thing is that the block reached the capacity of 342 megawatts during the guarantee tests.
As Mr. Jovanović explained, the project for reduction of the nitrogen oxide emission was also prepared. This project is very sophisticated which changes the philosophy of combustion in the boiler. Besides TPP „Kostolac“, the TPPNT has also done that on the two blocks and none of them has yet proven the emission parametres, while the block B1 in Kostolac operates with the emission of 165 miligrams per cubic meter, even though the norm is 200 miligrams per cubic meter.
– There have been problems and there always will be problems, but they are common for this kind of the equipment – said Mr. Jovanović.
After the first synchronization on 29th December 2014, the block operated with the variable capacity, with occasional outbursts which are usual during the commissioning of an entirely new plant. In January, the adjustment of all the devices which had been reconstructed was performed. It was also worked on the eliminating of the bottleneck at loading point of the slag discharge under the boiler in such way that the perceived shortcomings in integrating these four major projects were eliminated. That’s why there is, according to all the contracts, the setting procedure and then the guarantee tests. The Contractors usually use the stand by for the additional tweaking and preparation for the guarantee tests of the grinder, slag discharge systems, systems for the reduction of the nitrogen oxides and electro-filter plants, their adjustment and proving their capacity.
As Mr. Dragan Jovanović emphisised, the blocks B1 and B2 are now different a lot, since for the operation of the first block, the coal must to be grinded of the uniform thermal power, that is homogenized quality, considering that the installed equipment for the reduction of the nitrogen oxides emission affects the change of distribution of heat exchange in the boiler. After all final activities, it is expected that the block B1 will start with the maximum production during this and following years and confirm its stability and efficiency.
- May 12, 2021 Slovenia: Several non-binding offers for OMV’s fuel network
- May 12, 2021 Serbia: NIS’ finances significantly improved in Q1 2021
- May 12, 2021 Serbia: EPS’ profit plans for this year