Serbia: Revitalisation of Unit A1 – Djerdap 1 HPP Finalised, News Serbia Energy
Unit A1 of the hydroelectric power plant Djerdap 1 was commissioned on 17 October, after it was revitalised. This increased its capacity by 10 percent and secured an additional 30 years of electricity generation. By pressing the button, the unit was commissioned by Mr. Milorad Grcic, acting director of Elektroprivreda Srbije, and Mr. Aleksandar Antic, Minister of Mining and Energy.
– Capital revitalisation of unit A1 of the hydroelectric power plant Djerdap 1 is a very important job for the power system and EPS. So far, four units have been revitalised – A1, A4, A5 and A6, ensuring some 60 MW of new electricity generation capacity. Practically, the revitalisation of Djerdap resulted in a new hydroelectric power plant – Antic said.
Milorad Grcic, acting director of EPS, pointed out that the revitalisation of unit A1 increased its capacity by 10 percent, from 178 MW to 195 MW, while some 32 million euros were spent for this activity.
– The revitalization of the hydroelectric unit A1 started more than two years ago. There was a lot of problems with both the contractor and on the technical side. However, perseverance and a series of discussions with our Russian partners and friends, representatives of the company Silovije Masini, managed to set things in motion. We completed the revitalisation and unit A1 now generates electricity with higher capacity – Grcic said.
The first man of EPS added that the revitalisation guaranteed another 30 years of operation of the hydroelectric power plant on the Danube.
– Our objective is to preserve the capacities we inherited from the previous generations and leave them to the next generations in an even better state. Revitalisation of this unit is the best gift for EPS for 124 years of existence and operation – Grcic said and added that on behalf of all EPS employees, he was very happy because of the job well done.
Hydroelectric power and navigation system Djerdap 1 was built on the 943th kilometre of the Danube, near Kladovo. It is part of the Djerdap HPP branch and Elektroprivreda Srbije, generating annually some 5.5 billion kWh of electricity, or about half of the total generation of hydroelectric power plants operated by EPS. Unit A1 was revitalised in the year when Djerdap 1 HPP marks 45 years of construction completion.
- September 22, 2021 Serbia, PowerChina wants to invest in RES projects in Serbia
- September 22, 2021 Serbia, Country has launched its first green bond issue in the amount of 1 billion euros
- September 22, 2021 Romania, Transelectrica has decreased the profit forecast for this year